Control of Sugar & Fat levels:
We have seen on this website how Hyperglycemia (Too much glucose in the blood) is a chronic condition associated with diabetes.
There is plenty of evidence that diabetes is an issue for individuals, authorities and healthcare professionals around the world.
Diabetes brings with it other related conditions like cardiovascular disease amongst other complications.
Physical exercise, a healthy life style and diet are all important in managing the above chronic conditions.
Sugar reducing natural herbs like Emblica officinalis (gooseberry), Green Tea, and cinnamon were reviewed in a paper by Deng. Composite supplements containing Emblica officinalis (Amla, Amlaki) showed the most consistency in lowering fasting blood sugar (FBS) or glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) levels in diabetic patients.
The hypoglycemic effects of cinnamon was also demonstrated to be effective in the trials.
Other ingredients may also be benficial in the control of sugar and fat digestion, namely:
- Cinnamon seems to be highly bioactive, appearing to mimic the effect of insulin through increased glucose uptake in adipocytes (fat cells) and skeletal muscles.
- Cinnamon may also have some positive impacts for the control of diabetes. Cinnamom can reduce lipids, cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol and may have a positive effect on hypoglycaemic activity and sugar control.
- Liquorice compounds enhance fat breakdown and digestion. This anti-obestiy effect has been reported by various researchers including work on components called Amorfrutins.
- Ginger has also been shown to augment the digestion of fat in an animal model system.
- Hibiscus extract appears to have a blood lipid lowering effect. It has been implicated in maintaining a healthy weight and help to modulate blood sugar levels.