Healthy Menus: Goats’ Cheese and Cranberry Parcels
Vegsoc Recipe: Goats’ Cheese and Cranberry Parcels
Rose Elliot, has created a fantastic and tasty starter that is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
4 sheets filo pastry, 40 x 23cm
2 x 100g cylindrical goats’ cheeses
3–4 tbsp olive oil
4 tsp cranberry sauce
- Cut each piece of filo into 4 quarters.
- Cut the goats cheeses in half widthways.
- To make a parcel, put one of the pieces of filo on a work surface and brush with olive oil.
- Put another piece over it at right angles to make a cross and brush with olive oil again.
- Lay a third piece diagonally, as if you were making a star shape, brush with oil, then top with the final piece, diagonally, to complete the ‘star’, and brush with oil.
- Place one of the pieces of cheese, cut-side up, in the centre of the pastry and put a heaped teaspoon of cranberry sauce on top of it.
- Fold up the sides of the filo and scrunch them at the top so they hold together. Brush all over with olive oil.
- Make three more parcels in the same way.
- Place all the parcels on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven, 200C 400F, Gas Mark 6, for 15–20 minutes, or until crisp and lightly browned.
- Serve at once with a leafy salad dressed with vinaigrette.I think a chicory and watercress salad goes well as the bitterness contrasts with the sweet cranberry sauce. Alternatively, if you have the time to prepare them, some creamy mashed potatoes and fine green beans go well with the parcels.
Copyright © The Vegetarian Society 2004